the adventures of jaw surgery

This blog is meant to record my long and treacherous path to a perfectly functioning smile. When I learned that I would have to have my jaw broken, I scoured the
internet for stories of others who had already undergone the same thing. To my surprise, there weren't many complete descriptions of the whole process. Hopefully, this will provide people in similar situations with details, facts, and stories that will maybe help them face their own surgery. Mostly, though, this is a way for me to express, vent, and entertain myself for the duration of this ordeal. Thanks for reading!

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

My Head is Still a Bowling Ball and I'm Craving Chips and Salsa AHHHHH (Days 4-8)

Ok! So I've made it a week and a day...excitement! Here's a rundown of what happened:

Things were going swell. I wasn't taking any pain medicine whatsoever, I was sleeping alright and getting a decent amount of food into my system. Then, on Friday afternoon, the skies turned black and all hell was unleashed on northern Indiana. We hid in the basement and watched trees get ripped apart. The basement might have been scarier than the storm. I used to tell my friends it was a dungeon. Anyway, the power went out and we soon learned that over 100,000 people were stuck in the same situation. No power, anywhere. We sat in the dark and hoped for the best Friday night. Saturday was filled with board games and movies on my computer which still held some charge. By Sunday, the house was over 80 degrees and I was not feelin it. We got a hotel downtown. It had a great view, which was a plus, but I had to walk through the lobby and risk making people think the zombie apocalypse was truly happening...a definite minus.

The first four days starting top right, top left, bottom right, bottom left


 I have always hated sleeping in hotel rooms. The blasting air conditioning never fails to make my throat hurt and give me a bit of a cold. After one night, I started to really feel like dirt. I wasn't eating much because we didn't have the blender or any of the food I could eat. To make matters worse, I tried eating some pasta from a place down the street and it must have been too much for my mouth to handle. All night my mouth throbbed and ached with pain, and I felt like a limp and feverish noodle. I tried to ease the pain with the Mario Brothers.

The power finally came back Monday night. It was so nice to sleep in my own bed with my little fluffy dog. In the morning, I had to go see my surgeon for my weekly post-op check up. He said everything looked good and he took the two rubber bands that were holding my teeth together off. I thought it would hurt, but it didn't at all. He said I could take them off whenever I eat or brush and that was honestly really exciting. I can eat my assorted mashed food items about 10 times faster now, meaning I can eat a larger amount of food. This is good because for the first week I think I was probably between 500-600 calories a day or less. I did lose around 10 pounds in 7 days, which is kind of awesome. But I can't be losing 10 pounds every week.

Last night my family and boyfriend decided to go to the drive-in...one of the few outside-of-my-house activities I can do seeing as I still look like a monster. It was nice, even though I got eaten alive by mosquitos. Today is the Fourth of July and I think we're going to have a cook out. I will be eating noodles, mashed potatoes, and gravy. Nom. KFC really has THEEE best mashed potato/gravy combination. Maybe that will help me keep my weight up. Any-who, here are some photos. The swelling is still pretty prominent, so I cant really be sure of what I'm going to look like yet.

Here's day 4 through 8...the swelling has seemed to start to plateau.. meaning it will take a while to get from here to normal again :(

Left side profile...the difference is small but I can see it! Sooo wishing the swelling would disappear

Right side profile lookin HAWT


My teeth are touching its amaaaazzinnn!


That's it for now! I'll update again in a few more days. Happy 4th! Amurica.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, storms and no power definitely throw a curve ball into recovery. You're gonna look awesome girl! Since it's after the first 48 hours, you could start using heat on your face to try to control swelling if you're not already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell me about it. More storms just came through and the power is out once again. Shoot me. But as for the swelling, I'm trying heat and seeing what happens. Even if it doesn't work, it feels sooo goood.

    ReplyDelete